Content of the material
Do this 3x a week, with at least one rest day (or skill day) in between workout days.
So you could do it Monday, Wednesday, Friday. Or Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday. Or Wednesday, Friday, Sunday. Whatever fits your schedule.
Don't purposely split the workout into separate days. It's meant to be a full body workout. Here's why.
Reddit Bodyweight Fitness Recommended Routine
The complete structure of this workout routine looks like this:-
- Warm up
- Dynamic stretches
- Joint prep
- Movement practice
- Strength work
- 6 exercises targeting different major muscle groups of your upper and lower body.
- 3 exercises that will be performed in a triplet to enhance your core strength.
You have to follow the below-mentioned exercising protocol. Your Reddit Bodyweight Workout Routine will look like this.
Warm-Up- Dynamic Stretches (5-10 Min)
Yuri’s shoulder band warm-up
You can also use your t-shirt to perform these.
Squat Sky Reaches
They can also be performed in an assisted manner.
GMB wrist prep
Perform as many reps as you want.
Once you reach negative pull-ups you can add deadbugs.
Once you reach negative dips, you can perform support holds.
Easier squat progression
You can add these after performing Bulgarian Split Squats.
Easier hinge progression
You can perform these after reaching Banded Nordic curls.
Strength Work (40-60 Minutes)
Sets x Reps
3 x 5-8
You need to perfect your basic squat form so that in the coming time you can progress with barbell squats.
3 x 5-8
3 x 5-8
Focus on perfecting hinge progression, so that you can perform them weighted using a bar.
3 x 5-8
3 x 5-8
Perform them with a full range of motion.
3 x 5-8
3 x 8-12
3 x 8-12
3 x 8-12
The nine exercises mentioned above are to be performed in pairs or triplets so that your workout will wrap up in a shorter span of time. While pairing two exercises you would be doing a set of the first exercise then take rest for 90 seconds, then do a set of the second exercise, again rest for 90 seconds. You have to repeat this until all the 3 sets are completed. If you are choosing to go with a triplet, you would perform single sets of three exercises taking 60 seconds of rest in between, and will continue like this till all the 3 sets are completed.
- Rest time
It is recommended that you rest for at least 90 seconds between your sets. You can even rest for 3 minutes if 90 seconds is insufficient for you.
You will be performing these exercises with a “10×0” or (1,0, X,0) tempo. These numbers represent the time taken on the way down/pause at the bottom/on the way up and pause at the top while performing your reps. Following the Reddit Bodyweight Workout Routine, you will take a duration of 1 second on your way down with no pause at the bottom. Then you will explode (X) your way up and continue completing your reps without taking any pause at the top.
Since this program basically relies on your own body weight making it more difficult for ensuring effective progressive resistance is a bit tricky. In that case, you would be fine-tuning the bodyweight movements to suit your strength levels. For instance, if you are weak at performing regular push-ups, you can choose to go with incline pushups. Similarly, if you find regular push-ups too easy, then you should try your hands at ring pushups, diamond push-ups, pseudo-planche push-ups, decline push-ups, etc. This will ensure that progressive resistance is provided throughout the workout routine.
- Choose one suitable progression exercise depending on your current strength levels. Then in your first session, perform 3 sets of 5 reps of that exercise. From the next session onwards, keep on increasing 1 rep per set until you get strong enough to perform 3 sets of 8 reps with strict form. Afterward, proceed to the next progression following the same protocol of performing 3 sets of 5 reps.
- Exercises that include static holds like the tuck front lever have sets that consist of holding the position firmly for 10-30 seconds. Now once you are able to hold that position for 30 seconds for all 3 sets you can proceed to the next progression which will be more difficult.
- If you are unable to follow the main progression due to the unavailability of certain equipment or if you are skeptical about the main progression, you can go with the alternatives to do it.
- The rest time mentioned in this program promotes 99% replenishment of ATP in the muscles that limit fatigue in the muscles. This further helps in maximizing both volume and effort level that serve as the foundation stone for your strength and hypertrophy oriented goals.
Reddit Bodyweight Workout Routine Spreadsheet
The Reddit Bodyweight Workout Routine Spreadsheet provided below will provide you with detailed and descriptive information about the program. Apart from the normal sets and reps scheme that you would be required to perform following this training protocol, this excel sheet also guides you about the movements you are required to perform.
In general, this Google sheet is broadly divided into three subheadings namely dynamic stretches, strength work, and core work. The dynamic stretches will aid in stretching up your muscles so that the chances of injury is minimized.
The strength work under this training protocol includes progressions that are performed in 3 sets of 5-8 repetitions in each set. This aids in building your strength on bodyweight movements like push-ups, chin-ups, dips, hinge, row, and squat. These bodyweight movements are performed in various ways that make them more challenging. This spreadsheet will guide you thoroughly about what variations you need to include in performing those bodyweight exercises.
The credit for the creation of this spreadsheet goes to
Fitness apps can add some much-needed variety to your workout routine and motivate you to keep improving.
They have training plans to help you achieve your goals even if you don’t have access to much exercise equipment.
Most apps have social features to connect you with other fitness enthusiasts and wellness tips to help you become the best, healthiest version of yourself.
Some apps like Nike Training Club are even free to use, so there’s no reason not to download one and give it a try!
For more deep dives and Reddit recommendations, check out:
Hope this helps!
- Use your hands for as much balance or assistance as you need but over time, slowly reduce the amount of force you put on the supported object until you are doing it all on your own.
- Keep your back straight, hips back and chest big
- Shoulder width feet
- Keep core and lower back tight (minimise ‘butt wink’)
- Track knees along middle toes (do not let them collapse inwards)
- Keep your chest big (thoracically extend) and dont let it collapse in so you slouch (good for learning how to keep tight for when you add weight so you don’t kill yourself)
Step up/Deep Step Up
- Minimise the amount you use your back leg to push off or use a hip thrust for extra momentum
I have a tutorial covering the L-sit in depth (here). For brevity and to avoid repeating myself a lot, you can read about it there and I will just provide the progressions that are listed in the routine here with GIFs
- Legs straight, chest big, butt off the ground. That’s all.
- Hands past the midway of your thigh, or atleast past your butt.
- Compress, do not lean back.
- Legs straight toes pointed, enjoy the leg cramp
- Legs bent at 45 to 90 degrees, not tucked straight to chest.
- Push hips forward through the gap made between your arms
- Legs straight, hips through, toes pointed, chest big.
The Bodyweight Strength Builder
You’ve got the best bodyweight exercises in your pocket – but what good are exercises without a workout? To start you off, we’ve created two bodyweight workouts for you to choose from, the first of which is designed to work your whole body.
Our full-body circuit has been formulated to build strength, while the short rest times mean you’re also burning extra calories. Do all the moves in order, three times a week, with a day off between each go. You’ll be a leaner, stronger man for it.
Stand with your feet in a narrow stance and lift one leg off the floor. Bend your standing knee to squat down as low as you can while keeping your back straight. Push back up to the start position through your heel, then switch legs and repeat. That’s one rep.
From a standing position squat down until your thighs are parallel to the floor and place your palms on the floor. From there kick your feet back as far as you can while keeping your arms extended. As soon as your feet land jump them back in towards your hands, then jump up into the air. Land and immediately squat down to go into the next rep.
Position yourself in a handstand position with your feet planted against a wall. Move your hands forward and walk down the wall until you reach the bottom.
Lower yourself into a squat position with your feet shoulder-width apart. Swing your arms back and use them to propel yourself forward, then bring your legs forward for additional momentum. Jump as far as you can and land on the soles of your feet.
Lie on your left side with your knees straight and prop your upper body up to take its weight on your forearm. Brace your core and raise your hips until your body forms a straight line. Hold this position while breathing deeply. Then roll over and repeat on the other side.
Stand facing away from a bench, grab it with both hands at shoulder-width. Extend your legs out in front of you. Slowly lower your body by flexing at the elbows until your arm at forearm create a 90 degree angle. Using your triceps lift yourself back to the starting position.
From a press up position, raise one foot off the floor and bring your knee up towards your elbow. Pause then return to the starting position and repeat on the other side.