Content of the material
- How to Cook Crispy Bacon in the Microwave
- How Long to Microwave Bacon
- Can you Get Crispy Bacon in the Microwave?
- How to Microwave Bacon Without Paper Towels
- Cover and microwave
- Is it healthy to cook bacon in the microwave without paper towels?
- How to bake bacon in the oven
- How to microwave bacon without paper towels
- Can You Microwave Raw Bacon?
- Step 3: More Towels
- Bowl Method
- To Clean Up:
- How Do You Make Bacon In The Microwave
- Do you need oil to cook bacon in the microwave?
- Can you cook bacon in the microwave with water?
- Can you cook bacon in the microwave without paper towels?
- What else can I use instead of paper towels to microwave bacon?
- Steps to Microwave Bacon
- How Long to Cook Bacon in Microwave
- Bacon recipes
- How to Microwave Bacon
- 1. Line a plate with paper towels.
- 2. Arrange bacon on paper towels.
- 3. Top with more paper towels.
- 4. Microwave.
- 5. Drain the fat.
How to Cook Crispy Bacon in the Microwave
If you want bacon for breakfast or need it in a recipe but don’t have time to fry it in a skillet, the microwave is your next best option! Believe it or not, it’s possible to cook super crispy bacon in just a few seconds with the push of a button. If you’re wondering how to microwave bacon, follow the steps below.
- LayerPlace two paper plates on top of each other, and line them with at least two paper towels.
- Add BaconAdd 3-4 slices of bacon on top of the paper towels making sure they’re evenly spaced.
- CoverPlace a third paper towel diagonally on top of the bacon, covering as much as possible.
- CookMicrowave your bacon for 2 minutes.
- CheckAfter 2 minutes, check your bacon to see if the pieces are firm and crispy all the way through. Remove any fully cooked bits from the plate.
- Continue cookingIf you still have soft centers, place your bacon in the microwave for 15 to 20-second intervals until it is completely crispy but not burnt.
Watch this video to see how it’s done, and find cooking alternatives if you don’t want to use a paper plate!
How Long to Microwave Bacon
The secret to cooking perfect bacon every time is in how long you cook it. Depending on the number of strips and thickness of your bacon slices, you will need to cook each strip of bacon for 1 minute to 1:30. Two to four strips of bacon will need between 2-4 minutes.
Remember that the number of slices being cooked and the thickness will determine how long to microwave your bacon.
I recommend microwaving 4 slices at a time, no more.
No matter how thick your bacon is, I recommend starting with 2 minutes. Then, continue to cook it in 20-second intervals as needed.
Can you Get Crispy Bacon in the Microwave?
With the help of paper towels, you can get crispy bacon in the microwave. Paper towels help absorb excess grease and provide a surface to make your bacon crispy.
Be aware that you will need to do a little oven clean-up as the oil tends to drain through the paper towels onto the paper plate.
Never microwave bacon directly on a porcelain plate. It will get extremely hot.
How to Microwave Bacon Without Paper Towels
If you don’t want to use paper towels or paper plates to cook your bacon, you can do it by doubling and tripling the paper plates underneath the bacon and one on top to cover the bacon pieces.
Alternately, if you want to reduce waste, feel free to place your bacon in a microwave-safe dish, and follow the cooking instructions listed above.
Cover and microwaveMikayla Marin/Mashed
Now, place another paper towel over the top of the bacon slices and pop the plate in the microwave. Cook on high, starting at 30 seconds per piece. For four pieces, we began with 2 minutes of cook time. For us, that wasn’t quite enough to get them up to a properly crisp texture. However, cook times can be highly variable based on your microwave’s model and age, so start with that 30 seconds per piece metric and move forward from there as necessary.
If your bacon isn’t quite crisp enough after that first round, cook it again at 30-second intervals, checking in between each round until the pieces have gotten crisp. For thick-cut bacon, you will almost certainly need to add in extra time to ensure that the bacon is fully cooked.
Is it healthy to cook bacon in the microwave without paper towels?
Cooking the bacon over a bowl with a plate underneath will help to remove some of the fat from the bacon. As the bacon is heated, the fat will melt and drip down the side of the bowl and will be caught in the plate, or a dishcloth if you place one underneath. This technically will make your bacon a little bit healthier but remember that bacon is definitely a ‘sometimes food’. Choose shortcut bacon for the healthiest choice of the bacon range, but keep this food as a treat.
How to bake bacon in the ovenWhen cooking bacon for a crowd, the oven method is the easiest way to get great results with lots of bacon. Similar to the frying pan method, start with a cold oven.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper. Line up bacon rashers evenly in one layer, making sure to not overlap.
- Place in a cold oven and set oven to 200°C.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes without turning. Drain bacon on paper towel before serving.
How to microwave bacon without paper towelsMikayla Marin/Mashed
Sometimes it feels a bit wasteful to use handfuls of paper towels for microwaving bacon, especially if you’re doing more than one batch. In that case, the solution is a microwave-safe bowl. Instead of paper towels, place a bowl upside down on top of the plate. All the grease from the bacon will drip down the side of the bowl and collect on the plate, so make sure that the diameter of the bowl is at least an inch smaller than the edge of the plate.
Drape the bacon over the bowl in a single layer and microwave the exact same way as the previous method — 30 seconds to 1 minute per piece.
Can You Microwave Raw Bacon?
Chances are if you are looking to make some bacon for your breakfast feast, you have a package of raw bacon in the fridge.
So, you might be wondering whether or not you can microwave raw bacon? Absolutely you can, just follow the instructions above to crisp it up safely!
It takes about 1-2 minutes to cook bacon from raw, but I always recommend checking it after a minute and then cooking it in 30-second increments from there.
Step 3: More Towels
Unless you want to spend the rest of your day cleaning your microwave, add one or two more pieces of paper towel on top of the bacon. These pieces will catch any grease as it comes off of the meat, leaving your microwave spotless.
Even before you put them in the microwave, the grease starts to show on the towels. Consider this a good thing because there’s just an endless amount of grease on that stuff.
If you don’t want to use any cloths or paper towels to microwave your bacon, there is a great method that requires a microwave-safe bowl and plate.
In this method, you will place the bowl upside down in the middle of the plate then drape the bacon over the top to cook.
As the bacon cooks, the grease will run down the sides of the bowl and collect on the plate beneath the bowl.
You’ll end up with crispy, crunchy bacon and grease you can easily clean off the plate. Just make sure that the plate has about an inch or so of space around the edge of the bowl to collect the fat.
Follow these steps to microwave your bacon without paper towels using the bowl and plate method:
- Find a large microwave-safe plate.
- Find a microwave-safe bowl that can fit upside down on the plate with a 1-inch ring of space around the edges so that the fat from your bacon can collect on the plate without spilling.
- Place the bowl upside down on the plate and then drape your slices of bacon over the bowl in a single layer.
- Slide the plate and bowl covered in bacon into the microwave.
- Microwave on high heat for 60 to 90 seconds.
- Check the doneness of your bacon. If you like it crispier, continue microwaving for 20 to 30-second intervals until it is just as you like it.
- Once your bacon is crispy, put on your oven mitts and remove the plate from the microwave. Be careful as it will be very hot and there will be hot bacon fat on the plate that could burn your fingers.
- Let the bacon cool for a minute or so and then enjoy it.
- Repeat as many times as necessary to cook all your bacon.
To Clean Up:
- Once the bacon fat has cooled for a few minutes you can either wipe it up with a paper towel or you can pour it into a heat-safe container (I like to use clean tin cans or glass mason jars).
- You can save the fat to cook with just like grandma used to do.
How Do You Make Bacon In The Microwave
Characterized as one of the most important meals for the day, breakfast has to be something that can help you to have a good start and get the day rolling in the right direction. As we all know, breakfast must be healthy and wholesome, not necessarily bland or tasteless.
Including bacon in your breakfast is surely a good way to add some deliciousness as well as the essential nutrients to your meal. It contains a good source of protein, fat and fiber.
You can cook the bacon quite fast in the microwave! And we are going to detail the best ways to make bacon in the microwave.
Don’t worry as we are here to help you with all the important information and queries that you need to know. Whether you need oil to cook bacon or you can microwave it with water, we will help you with all these answers.
Do you need oil to cook bacon in the microwave?
No, there is no need for oil while cooking bacon in a microwave. This is because the bacon can render fat and release its own grease when it is being cooked.
Additionally, bacon can be more crispy without oil as well as being quite healthy when the fat is melted out of the meat. As a result, it is an integral food item frequently eaten in many dishes.
Can you cook bacon in the microwave with water?
Generally, water is added while cooking the bacon to make it slightly chewy. Also, the water helps strips of bacon hold their shape in a better way.
You can try to make bacon in the microwave by adding water, but you cannot use the paper towel then.
Use a microwave proof dish that is shallow and long enough to lay the bacon inside, this pyrex dish works perfectly. Cover the bacon with an inch of water and microwave for 2 minutes or until the water begins to boil.
Can you cook bacon in the microwave without paper towels?
Yes, you can cook the bacon in the microwave without the use of paper. However, this requires a bit of ingenuity and increased potential for a microwave mess.
You have to lay a microwaveable plate in the microwave, and then place a microwave safe bowl upside down on top of plate. Drape the bacon strips on this bowl and microwave until desired texture is reached.
The unhealthy and excess grease will flow away from the bacon, directly on the plate, keeping the bacon crispy. There is potential for splatter inside the microwave, so you will want to wipe the inside of the appliance afterwards.
What else can I use instead of paper towels to microwave bacon?
You could line the base plate with all sorts of things to catch the oil, try these below:
- Dish or Chux cloths
- Microfibre cloths
- Tea Towels
- Unpaper towels
- A thin sponge
- Material napkins
Steps to Microwave Bacon
Microwaving bacon is easy, though there is a correct way to do it. Simply follow a few steps and you'll have delicious bacon in just a few minutes.
Line a microwave-safe plate with microwave-safe paper towels.
Arrange six bacon slices side by side on the towels. Make sure the bacon doesn't overlap or the slices won't cook evenly.
Cover the bacon with another microwave-safe paper towel to prevent splattering.
Microwave the bacon for 3 minutes on high power and rotate the plate so the bacon cooks evenly. Cook for another minute.
Check the bacon; it should be an even golden brown color. If it still looks transparent, cook it for another 30 seconds, watching carefully.
Remove the bacon from the plate and let it rest on a fresh paper towel for 2 to 3 minutes to drain off the excess fat.
Use the bacon immediately.
How Long to Cook Bacon in Microwave
Here’s a cook time chart for regular bacon in the microwave on high power:
|How Long to Microwave Bacon||Regular Bacon (2 slices)||Regular Bacon (6 slices)|
|Standard Microwave 900-1000 watts||3 to 4 minutes||8 to 10 minutes|
|Powerful Microwave 1100-1200 watts||2 to 3 minutes||5 to 7 minutes|
|Small Microwave 600-800 watts||4 to 5 minutes||9 to 11 minutes|
Use the low end of the ranges above to get chewier bacon and the full time for crispier bacon.
For thick-cut bacon, it’s quite a different story. Use the following guidelines:
|How Long to Microwave Bacon||Thick-cut Bacon (2 slices)||Thick-cut Bacon (6 slices)|
|Standard Microwave 900-1000 watts||4 to 5 minutes||10 to 12 minutes|
|Powerful Microwave 1100-1200 watts||3 to 4 minutes||6 to 8 minutes|
|Small Microwave 600-800 watts||5 to 6 minutes||12 to 14 minutes|
Bacon recipesNow you know how to cook great bacon, find heaps of brilliant bacon recipes below and get cooking. Don’t forget that if you have a myfoodbook account you can save these recipes to your own personalised cookbooks to share or print!
How to Microwave Bacon
1. Line a plate with paper towels.
Line a microwave-safe plate or dish with two paper towels.
2. Arrange bacon on paper towels.
Arrange as many bacon slices as you can fit in a single layer on top of the paper towels, making sure none overlap.
3. Top with more paper towels.
Top with two more layers of paper towels.
Optional: If you have more bacon to cook, you can stack another layer of bacon on top of this layer of paper towels. Just be sure to add a final two layers of paper towels on top to prevent splatters.
Microwave on high for 3-4 minutes. Check the bacon. If it still looks translucent, continue to cook in 30 second bursts until it's as crispy as you like. With time, you'll be able to more accurately estimate how long it takes to cook bacon in your microwave.
5. Drain the fat.
Carefully remove the plate from the microwave (using oven mitts or a towel), transfer the cooked bacon to a fresh layer of paper towel, and drain for about two minutes. You can pat with an additional towel to absorb excess grease.